Sunday 11 May 2014

Reconciling Wu Wei with Sean Barkes

I've always struggled with Tai Chi and Chi Kung. Much of the philosophy behind these arts is based upon the concept of Wu Wei. Certainly, I've always been attracted to the concept of Wu Wei (literally 'non-action). For those unfamiliar with the concept, it is the idea that, in order to harmonise with nature or live naturally, we should not push or make effort in our endeavours. This is diametrically opposed to all that is me!

So, how do I reconcile this with my deep-seated desire to improve, grow and push forwards against all odds?

Well, one of the phrases which is often associated with the concept of Wu Wei, is "following the path of least resistance". Water, in its qualities and behaviour, has often been used to help describe the philosophy of Wu Wei. Water follows the path of least resistance. Water never rests. If it slows, it becomes stagnant and stale. From the moment water droplets form around a nucleus in a rain cloud, water has the desire to move and change. Before it hits the ground, even, it has the intention of finding the lowest point. It's ultimate, and insatiable desire is to move forwards. Sure, it is influenced by factors surrounding it, but still it moves forwards. Even as it arrives at the ocean, it continues to move in the waves, tides and the currents as it is influenced by other forces such as wind, temperature and the moon. Eventually, it evaporates and returns to the clouds for yet another cycle. These cycles are eternal and endless.

This is where I reconcile my competitive instinct, my deep-rooted desire to be better tomorrow than I was today and to create in every moment. Where I become lost, from time to time, is when I fail to follow the path of least resistance in the pursuance of these goals. This manifests in a race when I push myself beyond the point where my breathing and movement is efficient, not necessarily effortless, but at least flowing. My movement becomes laboured, awkward and uncomfortable. Also, in my work, in business, when I do not balance activity and rest or in exercise, when I do not properly balance soft and hard exercise, I become tired, tense, irritable and lose focus. Nature always has it's way of reminding me that I'm departing from its rhythms. 

So, this is how I reconcile the philosophy upon which Tai Chi, a significant part of my life for decades, is based and my approach to everything else I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment